Friday, January 6, 2012

Sea Dog Hazelnut Porter

So, I have been wanting to get back into blogging and reviewing beers, but have just been swamped.  So now, here I am a few months later rejuvenated from vacation, about to change jobs, feeling like a million bucks.  So I thought lets get back on the horse and maintain this awesome slice of the internet in 2012.

Now, let the beer flow!  I will start the New Year with a new beer to me, Sea Dog Hazelnut Porter.  I'm a huge fan of Hazelnuts and porters, what could be better right?  WRONG!  Before we get into that lets talk a bit about the brewery.  The Sea Dog brewing Company is a microbrewery located in the Atlantic north east in Maine.  They have 3 locations throughout the state.  Sea Dog has one numerous awards, and their hazelnut porter has even won several on it's own!  Sea Dog has been brewing since 1993.


As I pour the porter into my glass, I am able to produce a 1/4" khaki colored head.  The ale is a very dark ruby color.  Most likely around 45 SRM.  Overall a great looking porter.  The aroma in my opinion was not very strong slight coffee, and caramel notes.  Hints of spice and very little hazelnut.  The flavor is very malty, with even more coffee notes, it almost tastes like scorched coffee with a hazelnut flavor to cover it, I also detect a slight buttery taste on the back-end and again more hints of hazelnuts.  The mouth feel was pleasant,  with light carbonation.  Overall I was disappointed with this beer. I didn't even finish it.  The burnt taste was jsut more then I could bare with about 4 ounces of the beer left.

I will rank this beer a solid C....I was not impresses with this particular beer from Sea Dog I will look into others they offer to see if my opinion can be swayed.

This beer can be had locally in Tallahassee from any ABC Liquor store.

Disagree with my review?  Leave your own in the comments!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment